If you are having issues updating the firmware on your device, the first step is to work through either one of the following articles depending on what motion control unit you are using.
If the firmware updates continue to fail and you are using an IOS device version 11-12, please try the additional troubleshooting steps.
1. Please make sure the Wi-Fi assist on your iPhone or iPad is turned off, as this feature could interfere a firmware update. By default, the Wi-Fi assist is always on. You can disable Wi-Fi Assist by going into Settings > Mobile/ Cellular > Wi-Fi assist > Tap to turn off.
2. Plug your Genie device directly into power during the firmware update to eliminate the chance of the battery being low on charge.
3. Please ensure that your Genie II APP is on its latest update.
4. The phone and Genie device should be physically close (touching) during the entire firmware update.
5. Select JOIN when being prompted to Join the Network.
6. IF you get an "Unable to Join" message, go to your WIFI and toggle on and off. Try update again.
7. IF it fails a second time, try force closing the APP and reboot the Genie device. (press the ON button for 15 seconds)
8. The firmware update SHOULD work on the 3rd or 4th try but it can take a couple more tries.
*Certain phone models have weaker wireless chips and may need more attempts at firmware updates.