Firmware update issues are not uncommon as they are quite often caused by interference from other electrical / electronic devices nearby and wireless signals that conflict with the update. Please note that we have always been able to successfully update a device after a failed update. Due to there being a number of factors outside of our control that may effect the update it may take quite a few attempts. Please click here, if you are having trouble update the firmware on the original Genie Mini. Below are some tips on troubleshooting a failed firmware update on the Genie II Linear, Pan Tilt and Genie Mini II devices:
There are three possible error messages resulting from a Genie II firmware update fail. These are:
'Update Failed at Module XX Tap to try updating again'
'Update failed Tap to try updating again'
'Device battery is too low. please wait for the unit to charge before using'
Before you start:
- Turn on WiFi and Bluetooth on your device. The Genie II requires both for firmware updates
- Make sure to place your phone/ tablet as close as possible to the device throughout the firmware update process
- Ensure your Genie II is adequately charged or plugged in when attempting an update
- If you are an iOS user, make sure the Wi-Fi assist on your iPhone or iPad is turned off, as this feature could interfere a firmware update. By default, the Wi-Fi assist is always on. You can disable Wi-Fi Assist by going into Settings > Mobile/ Cellular > Wi-Fi assist > Tap to turn off
What to do when an attempt to update the firmware fails?
- Turn off nearby Bluetooth or WiFi devices including, Bluetooth stereos, smartwatches, WiFi modems or any other Bluetooth or WiFi device
- Try the update again but you MUST reboot the device before each re-try. Remove and reinsert the battery will ensure the device is reset. Alternatively you could also hold the power button down for 20 secs. This has the same effect as pulling the battery out for rebooting (This is not necessary in the case of a Genie Mini II)
- Switch on the device by pressing the power button once.
Start the update again
- After each failed update repeat the process above
- If you are still having issues we recommend trying the update from a different mobile device. It may help to try from an Android device if the failure is happening on iOS for example. After the update you can always go back to using your original device.
- If the issue persists then we recommend trying from a completely different location. Sometimes there are unknown interference from other devices and this can sometimes solve the issue.
IMPORTANT: When the device fails the update in the initial attempt, please remove and reinsert the battery before retrying, also make sure its not plugged in for charging during the rebooting process. All the LED lights on the Genie II unit must go off when the battery is removed. Follow this step every-time you have a failed update, or another failure is very likely to occur (This does't apply to Genie Mini II)
Below is the link to the article that discusses potential interference to a wireless connection: