Instructions for installing new firmware
- Complete the following steps to install firmware v2.8.1 onto the Genie.
- Locate and Download the firmware release .zip folder onto your computer from the bottom of this page. Unzip the folder to reveal the .bin file v2.8.1
- Take a blank FAT32 aka MS DOS(FAT) formatted USB key and load the .bin file onto the USB stick. Please note, if you are using Mac you will also need to select ‘Master Boot Record’ when formatting*.
- Prepare the Genie for upload by ensuring the unit is powered down**.
- Insert the USB key into the USB port on the side of the Genie. Simultaneously hold down the OK and Back buttons. The screen will flash black and white which indicates the unit is reading the .bin file on the USB key ***.
- After approximately 30 secs the Syrp logo should appear and your Genie will load as normal entering the Setup screen. Remove the USB key.
- Set the time, date, units and frames per second according to your region, navigate to ‘Go!’ and press OK
- Scroll down to settings and hit OK, then scroll to ‘About’ and check that current firmware reads v2.8.1
- Go filming!
* Do not use hard drives or other external USB devices to load the firmware. Some USB keys draw too much power to correctly function. Do not load the .zip file onto the USB key. You must unzip the folder and load only the .bin file with nothing else on the USB key. Any key over 16GB will not work.
** Please note that uploading new firmware will wipe all existing presets and settings on the Genie. If you w
*** If the red indicator light around the OK button stays solid red then the firmware has not correctly installed. Power off the device and try again. Consider trying a different USB key. If the Red light is flashing continuously please check the USB drive is formatted correctly and the file loaded onto the drive has the file extension ‘.bin’.